A sensory garden, mentoring program, East Kimberley cultural immersion, and innovative professional learning model were among eight initiatives recognised at Catholic Education Western Australia’s (CEWA) annual awards for excellence on 8 August.
The LEAD Awards (Learning, Engagement, Accountability and Discipleship) recognise Catholic schools and colleges that continue to provide innovative learning experiences for students, staff and community.
In the Learning category, Greenwood’s Liwara Catholic Primary School was recognised for creating an outdoor learning area that incorporated social and emotional development, particularly for students with sensory integration issues.
Our Lady of Lourdes in Dardanup was rewarded for its investment in a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) initiative – the introduction of a school-wide recycling program and a partnership with the Astronomical Society of the South West for real-life learning experiences.
CEWA Acting Executive Director Dr Debra Sayce commended the winners and nominees for creating engaging programs that benefitted students, teachers, and the wider community.
“At CEWA, we are focused on evidence-based learning and the development of the whole child, including their wellbeing, faith formation, and opportunities to excel academically,” Dr Sayce said.
“This is why it is vital we drive innovation, celebrate success, and support individuals and schools as they strive to provide Christ-centred and child-focused learning environments for our children and young people.”
The winners of the 2018 LEAD Awards for Excellence winners are listed under their respective categories below.
- Liwara Catholic Primary School, Greenwood: Sensory Garden
- Our Lady of Lourdes, Dardanup: STEM @ OLOL
- Infant Jesus School, Morley: A LEADing Learning School
- St Mary’s College, Broome: Positive Behaviour Support through a trauma informed lens
- Whitford Catholic Primary School, Craigie: Mentoring Program
- Aranmore Catholic College, Leederville: Akolkol Dastan Gesa – SAME DRUM
- Mater Dei College, Edgewater: Whadjuk Gift
- Mandurah Catholic College: Men of MCC
- Kolbe Catholic College, Rockingham: Max Time Professional Learning Model
- Santa Clara Primary School, St James: Core Values Program
- Good Shepard Catholic Primary School, Kelmscott: Social and Emotional Learning Coordinator
- Emmanuel Catholic College, Success: Cultural Immersion Program
- Padbury Catholic Primary School: Reach out with love
- Holy Cross College, Ellenbrook: Pilgrimage at Holy Cross College