By Carol Glatz
Pope Francis will meet with workers, prisoners, the poor, young people, religious and other special guests when he visits the Italian island of Sardinia Sept. 22.
He also will greet the island’s bishops as well as pray at the Sanctuary of Our Lady of Bonaria.
It will be his second apostolic journey to an Italian city outside of Rome and environs.
The pope announced in May that he wished to visit the city of Cagliari because he wanted to venerate the icon there of Our Lady of “Bonaria” or “Buona Aria” (“good air” or “fair wind”), the namesake of his native city of Buenos Aires.
During his trip, Pope Francis will celebrate a Mass outside the Basilica of Our Lady of Bonaria.
Here is the schedule for the trip. Times listed are local, with Eastern Daylight Time in parentheses:
Sunday, Sept. 22 (Rome, Cagliari, Rome)
– 7:30 a.m. (1:30 a.m.), Departure from Rome’s Ciampino airport for Cagliari.
– 8:15 p.m. (2:15 a.m.), Arrival at Cagliari’s “Mario Mameli” Airport.
– 8:45 a.m. (2:45 a.m.), Pope meets with workers and business representatives in Carlo Felice square. Speech by pope.
– 9:45 a.m. (3:45 a.m.), Pope greets local authorities in the square in front of the Sanctuary of Our Lady of Bonaria. He will then meet with people coping with illness in the Basilica of Our Lady of Bonaria.
– 10:30 a.m. (4:30 a.m.), Mass in the plaza in front of the Sanctuary of Our Lady of Bonaria. Homily by pope.
– 1 p.m. (7 a.m.), Lunch with bishops of Sardinia at the regional pontifical seminary.
– 3 p.m. (9 a.m.), Pope meets with the poor and prisoners in Cagliari’s cathedral. Speech by pope.
– 4 p.m. (10 a.m.), Pope meets with people representing the world of culture in an audience hall inside the Pontifical Faculty of Theology. Speech by pope.
– 5 p.m. (11 a.m.), Pope meets with young people in Carlo Felice square. Speech by pope.
– 6:30 p.m. (12:30 p.m.), Departure for Rome’s Ciampino airport.
– 7:30 p.m. (1:30 p.m.), Arrival at the Vatican. – CNS