Fifty years to the day, on August 2, 2012, the Parish of St Aloysius Shenton Park celebrated the 50th anniversary of the blessing and opening of its church by Archbishop Redmond Prendiville on August 2, 1962.
The celebration was only one milestone for the parish. The year 2012 also marks:
- The 75th anniversary of the establishment of the parish which was originally known as Rosalie and formerly a part of St Joseph’s Subiaco;
- A century of the presence of the Sisters of Mercy in the parish.
The Sisters operated the parish school in Henry St from 1912 to 1972 and have remained associated and active in the parish since the closure of the school.
They still occupy the Convent in Nicholson Road.
Bishop Donald Sproxton concelebrated Mass with Parish Priest Fr Sabu Jacob VC, Fr Thomas Mankuthel VC, Chaplain at Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital and former parish priests Fathers Patrick Holmes, Peter Bianchini and Rojan George VC .
Also present were Fathers Joseph Angelo, Andre Nahas, Michael Leek OSB, Varghese Parackal VC and George James.
Parishioners were joined by many former parishioners and many old yarns were shared.
Among those attending were Mrs Zita Williamson, the niece of the late Monsignor E J Collins, who was responsible for the construction of the church in 1962.
The Sisters of Mercy were well represented by Sr Louise Fortune, who was present at the opening of the Church in 1962, Sr Joan Smith, Sr Marie Fitzgerald, Sr Betty McMahon, Sr Leonie O’Brien, and Sr Sandra Smolinski.
Following Mass parishioners and guests enjoyed a well-catered supper in the Parish Centre. Bishop Donald Sproxton cut a beautiful anniversary cake prepared by long-time parishioner Mary Kurtis. A wonderful time was had by all.